Thursday, June 6, 2013

PearBerry

Now that summer is kind of here...if you count wearing a coat to work at the beginning of June as summer that is...I've gotten into making smoothies.  While did this a little bit last year, over the winter I pretty much abandoned it in favor of snacks that wouldn't leave me needing a hot cup of tea afterwards.  However, a couple weeks ago I rediscovered the blender and out of necessity came up with my new favorite smoothie; PearBerry.  Now after a hard workout, I turn to this cup of deliciousness for a boost of protein and a little bit of carbohydrate.  Of course you could do just blueberry or just strawberry, but the small amount of pear makes it a little bit sweeter, and I think it helps thicken it up a bit.

1/2 - 1 scoop whey protein
1/3 ripe pear
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2-1 cup Water or ice or carton almond/coconut milk
Supplemental Carnitine or Glutamine (optional)
1 scoop dynamic greens (optional)
1 big handful baby spinach (optional)

As a post workout snack you don't want too much fat getting in the way of your digestion and absorption of the protein. You might be wondering about a couple of the optional items.  For people looking to lose fat, adding carnitine can help your body shuttle any free-fatty acids into your muscle's mitochondria and use it for energy.  Glutamine aids in muscle recovery, and can also help reduce soreness or DOMS.  The dynamic greens are basically just freeze dried, powdered, fruits and veggies.  They provide a huge hit of antioxidants that will neutralize free-radicals created during your workout.  My other favorite combo for smoothies is raspberry with the chocolate dynamic greens.  It tastes like desert.  Baby spinach because it's good for you.  Same concept as the dynamic greens, but not quite as many antioxidants.  Mostly it's just a way to say you got in another serving of leafy green vegetable.

If I make a smoothie as a meal I add extra fat to help keep me full.  Usually 1/2 cup of canned coconut milk or 1/2 an avocado.  Mmm Mmm Mmm.

2 comments:

  1. My only problem with smoothies is that they don't always have an appetizing color...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yhea, this one was very green from the Dynamic Greens I had in it. Usually they are pink/purple if I only add fruit, or brown if I use the chocolate dynamic greens. Oh well...it's just a color.

    ReplyDelete